Do I Need Mental Health Help?
It’s easy to decide whether we should see a therapist with extreme emotional problems; however, when we’re slightly uncomfortable, or having a few rough days, it’s harder to make that decision. Don’t wait until you truly can’t deal with it if you believe you have that problem and are getting overwhelmed. Being proactive also results in better outcomes. Prevention is always the best form of medicine.
Ask yourself the following questions and truthfully answer yes or no.
- How do you feel about simple pleasures? Do you get genuine satisfaction from them?
- Are you respectful of yourself?
- How do you cope with your own mistakes? Can you laugh at them?
- What are your experiences with handling situations that come your way? Do you feel prepared to deal with them?
- How well do you handle showing your own emotions, such as fear, anger, jealousy, guilt, and worry? Are you comfortable with them?
- Do you have personal relationships that are satisfying and lasting?
- Do you trust others and assume that others will trust you?
- Are you tolerant of differences in viewpoints?
- Do you refuse to be pushed around and refuse satisfaction from it?
- Do you feel connected to others?
- Are you able to love somebody?
- Are you accepting as much responsibility as you are given?
- Do you make your own decisions?
- Are you quick to resolve your problems when they arise?
- Do you shape your environment whenever possible and adjust to it whenever necessary?
Now if you are very honest you will get a good idea of where you are at. Think about the question a little, but not too long, and be natural in your reply, if it’s a no put no, if it’s yes, then write yes. Do not try to make it something it is not, there is no right or wrong reply, there is simply where you are at right now.
Count up the number of no answers. If you don’t have any, you are exceptional. Well done you !! A couple of no answers is normal and is absolutely nothing to be concerned about. If, however, you answered no to more than five questions, there is a good chance you could benefit from some type of counselling to help get you back on track.
The fact you are able to take this test is a good indicator that, with proper counselling, you will be just fine. Just don’t let it go until more answers turn to no. You deserve to enjoy the best mental health possible. Don’t neglect it.
And P.s – let’s not forget, that if you answered NO to taking responsibility for yourself, and yet you do this test and decide to get help, you have already taken responsibility and already turned a NO into a YES! You see, you are a hero and can do anything!